Here’s a foundational worklist we’ve gathered from years of sales and buying factory race bikes for building the best Yz125. Something about a fully built 125 Dirt Bike that gets all the purists excited. Well, with two-stroke dirt bikes getting more expensive and rare by the day, we plan to build this bike to its fullest if enough of yall are interested; drop a comment below if so! From weight loss to GYTR Engine work, we want this japan two stroker to show KTM a wheel in all areas as both bikes are quite different in feeling characteristics, and having both types of tools (Japan vs. Austrian Design) in the garage is a great way to build a rider skill level!
2022.5 yz125 first ride-
Building a Yz125 instead of buying a new one!
The 22 Yz125 is falling behind on performance and weight to the KTM, yet the 2008 yz125 & up still have some of the best OEM forks, lighter (overall dry weight than the new 2022 KTM) and matched with Yamaha’s finely tuned reliability to make it worthy of an all-out build. This 2006 Yz125 Started as a Garage Queen that was never used, and yes, the 2022 yz125 has changed some items. Yet the differences weren’t enough to overweigh the fact that all off-road bikes sold in California for 2022 are no longer allowed to be used for trail riding, sand dunes, desert, or anything not private property like a motocross track. That’s right, so we decided to make the Yz125 great again with some significant upgrades.
Yz125 Upgrade List – Top Shelf Parts!
- Lightweight Parts List
- Titanium bolts -4 lb
- Swingarm upgrade -1.5 lbs
- Brembo front brakes -.5 lbs
- 39mm Keihin Carb -1 lb
- OEM Titanium Pegs .5lbs
- 7.5lb weight savings of 2022 yz125 model
Getting dialed in at Lake Elsinore MX –
Lightening to the lightest 125 dirt bike even further parts list –
2008-2014 yz125 was the lightest Dirt bike made and the lightest two-stroke still to this day a 190lb dry weight! To go even further some easy bolt-on parts that can drop additional weight lower are listed below. Also if one wanted to lighten the 2015 and up yz125, the 2014 yz125 plastic design would be the lightest of them all at 2 pounds less than 2015 and around 4 pounds less than the 2022 body style.
- 2022 Yz125 rotors
- OEMdirtbikeparts swingarm kit
- Front Brembo caliper & master
- Lightweight brake pedal OEMdirtbikeparts design.
- for all 2021 yz125 and below models
- Making 180 lbs easily possible for this year’s range.
Now, these bolt-on yz125 parts are some of the easiest ways to shed weight. In retrospect, there are some really cool riders like @Hard_Enduro_Life who’ve taken motocross weight reduction to new levels for even more weight loss! Let’s end this dirt bike Lightening chapter and move on to the next section of yz125 upgrades.
Yz125 Build Cost – Parts
- Complete Conversion kit For 2022 Body – $1500
- Larger 22mm front and 25mm rear axle – $250
- Lighter Braking OEM rotors 270mm in the front -$300
- Slimmer 48mm kyb SSS forks with matching 22mm Triple Clamps .46kg springs – $2000
- 2017 Yamaha Swingarm – $650
- Linkage – $350
- Larger 12.5mm Nissin Rear Master – $200
- KYB Shock w/ 18mm shaft & 5.5kg Titanium Spring – $1000
- Brembo 24mm Dual Piston front caliper – $500
- 10mm Brembo front master – $200
- PWK 39mm – $280
- Keihin OEM Black hoses – $50
- Silver Heat wrap – $60
- Reserve Petcock- $50
- Easy Pull OEM Clutch Perch lever Assembly – $80
- Twinwall Renthal 28mm Bars – $90
- Fork Buddys – $60
- Shock Wrap – $60
- Rubber Pipe Mount & Connector upgrade – $90
Yz125 Mods List for all yz125 models –
- Opening the airbox airflow with holes
- fixing the front brakes on Yamaha dirt bikes.
- Bringing the Yz125 chassis to current advancement levels
- More power
- Suspension tuning
Comment below to keep up to date on this ongoing build and yz125 article!